The name ‘Buiksloot’ is probably derived from the word ‘sloot’, a stream, aligned with ‘beuken’, beech trees. The village was first named in 1275. It belonged to the noble Persijn family, which then ruled Waterland.
Man with wheelbarrow, 1962
Guests by boat
The Waterland dyke harbours definitely lost their position to their competitor Amsterdam during the Eighty Years’ War (1568-1648). At the end of the seventeenth century, the village supplied many skippers and sailors to the Amsterdam merchant navy. After the Buikslotertrekvaart (canal) was dug, one out of ten men worked in inland shipping. A tow boat brought travellers to Buiksloot on their journey from Amsterdam to Purmerend.
Buiksloterdijk 276-278, 1968
Merchant navy vessels in the canal
When the Zuiderzee silted up, the harbour city of Amsterdam had the Noordhollandskanaal (canal) dug, which ran via Buiksloot to Den Helder on the North Sea. From 1824, enormous sail boats were pulled by people, and later by steamboats, through Waterland. The bend in the canal at Buiksloot was one of the most difficult passages. This gave many passengers the chance to do their shopping in the village.
Bridge / embankment NH canal 2008. Photo: E. van Eis, Stadsdeel Noord.
In 1851, the view across the IJ River gave way to the Buiksloterham polder. A little later Buiksloot became the first stop on the route of the Waterland tram (1888-1956) which went to Edam, Purmerend and Alkmaar. Travellers could rest and take refreshments in Mr Swart’s Station Coffee Shop.The tram was terminated in 1956, long after Buiksloot became part of the municipality of Amsterdam (1921). Large parts of the Buiksloterdijk (dyke) were destroyed to make way for roads.