Laying of the first stone
The current church’s first stone was laid in 1866. A few of the interior decorations, such as the pulpit, date from the seventeenth century and were brought to this location from a previous church.
Front of Schellingwouderkerk (church), 2005
A text graces the Schellingwouderkerk church’s ‘kerkekist’ (the church chest) in which important items and documents were kept. It dates from 1659 and is a remembrance to the souls of Schellingwoude who stood up for their rights. Schellinghwoud heeft over vijftigh jaer gestreden Tegen ses dorpen en twee stedenDe gemeendijck versocht en van dat hof verkreghenIn ’t jaer sestien hondert vijftigh en negenThe inhabitants of Schellingwoude fought with those of other villages who demanded that they pay more for the upkeep of the Waterlandse Zeedijk (dyke). Their resistance was successful: everyone had to pay the same amount in the end.
View of church from the footbridge, 1992
The stinking rich
Notables used to be buried in the church. However, as this led to unpleasant odours, this gave rise to the expression ‘stinking rich’. In 1800, Vicar Bekius was so disgusted by this that he refused to be buried in the church.
View of church from Paterslaan, 2005
Next to the Schellingwouderkerk church is a replica of the drunkard’s goal. It was customary at the time to build a fire station plus drunkard’s goal next to the church. At the end of the twentieth century, the number of churches declined. Services were moved to a Reformed Church in Nieuwendam. Since Stadsherstel’s (company for city restoration) restoration of the church, the church can be hired for business, private and cultural functions. It is a popular wedding venue.