Celebrating Thanksgiving at home in Amsterdam
If you live in Amsterdam, and you have a big enough kitchen, then getting all the ingredients will be the main concern. The following locations should help you get what you need:
- Fred & Yolanda de Leeuw (Utrechtsestraat 92) can source the best French Bresse poultry or turkeys for your big event. Tel. 020-623 0235
- Chris Kip (Albert Cuypmarkt) sells all manner of fowl including turkey. Order from an array of sizes, whether serving five or 25. Tel. 061-652 0494
- Slagerij Arie van de Raa is in the Gelderlandplein shopping centre, near Amsterdam Zuid. You can order a turkey up to 10 kg! Tel. 020-644 1486
- Slagerij Alain Bernard (Albert Cuypstraat 133) is a French butcher and knows his turkeys. Place an order. Tel. 020-662 4572
- Natuurslagerij Rob Rijks (Huidenstraat 11) in the Jordaan offers a great selection of organic meats. Place an order. Tel. 020-627 9132
- Marqt supermarket will have some organic birds in stock but they recommend you talk to the butcher about size requirements and have them order it in for you. Tel. 020-422 6311
- Hergo the retail butcher chain with stores across Amsterdam can order a turkey for you.
- Cranberries (veenbessen) are not as elusive as you think... cranberries are grown on the Dutch island of Terschelling. Ask at your local greengrocer or try health food stores Natuurwinkel or Ekoplaza for organic cranberry jam and syrups.
- Eichholtz Delicatessen on the Leidsestraat stocks Stove Top stuffing mixes, pie filling, jelly and more. Tel. 020-622 0305
- Dirk, Super de Boer, Jumbo and C1000 supermarkets often stock marshmallow fluff and root beer.
- Tjin’s Toko in the Pijp carries many American products; check there for marshmallows, stuffing mixes and other holiday treats. Tel. 020-671 7708
- Sligro and Makro are wholesale supermarkets, and if you know someone with a business account, you can easily pick up all the ingredients you need; sprouts, cranberry relish and many alternatives to turkey including pheasant, duck, hare or duck.
- If you can't make it to the shops on time, try ordering from USfoodz for pumpkin pie filling and other American treats.
- Americakes will be offering the best of Thanksgiving baked goods. Order cornbread or biscuits for dinner, and finish with pumpkin cheesecake or pecan pie for dessert.
If you have decided to cook, but you don’t have a roasting pan, a turkey baster, thermometer or the required number of pots and pans, then you may want to stop by one of the bigger kitchenware stores in town:
- Duikelman in de Pijp is a large store full of great equipment and accessories.
- De Pittenkoning in the middle of the Albert Cuyp market is smaller, but packed with useful tools.
- Studio Bazar has trendy, colourful and quirky items.
- Deksels on the Haarlemmerdijk 129 is a tiny spot packed from top to bottom with all things cooking.