The Munttoren (mint tower) was once part of the Regulierspoort which consisted of a gate with a tower on each side. It was built between 1480 and 1487 as part of the medieval city wall. Back in the 17th century, the tower was used to mint coins.
After the gate went up in flames in 1618, only the guard house and part of the western tower remained. The Munttoren was rebuilt in Amsterdam Renaissance style around 1620, with a spire designed by Hendrick de Keyser. The carillon consists of 38 bells that chime every 15 minutes.