The Van Houten Church in Weesp has a beautiful authentic interior in the style of Berlages New Art with Art Nouveau features. The church is also popularly referred to as the Chocolate Church.
Berlage and Jugendstil
The Van Houten Church was built in 1906 by order of the Van Houten sisters, descendants of the famous chocolate family. That is why the church is popularly known as 'the Chocolate Church'. The exterior of the Van Houten Church has neo-Romanesque style features. The interior also has features of Berlage's New Art with Jugendstil elements.
Stadsherstel has brought the building back to life. The rich chocolate history was honored at the reopening by starting with the Chocolate Festival with children's performances, a poetry competition, top-level classical concerts by Nicolas van Poucke, among others, a delicious chocolate dinner and a popular bonbon workshop. The one-metre-high Van Houten Church, imitated from chocolate, itself received national media attention (eg at Time for MAX) and the antiques market attracted about a thousand visitors.