Built between 1603 and 1611 and designed by Hendrick de Keyser, the Zuiderkerk was Amsterdam’s first church built specifically for protestant worship. The building has not been used as a church since 1929 but has been put to various other uses throughout the years.
The City of Amsterdam bought the church in 1968 and extensive restoration was carried out through the 1970s before it become the exhibition space for the city spatial planning department. In 1992, it became home to the City of Amsterdam’s information centre for spatial development, living and construction.
In 2011, the Zuiderkerk became the temporary headquarters of the Dutch Museum of National History and nowadays, it’s possible to rent the church for private and corporate events including weddings, dinners, congresses, receptions and concerts.