The double building on "The Golden Bend" was built in 1685 by merchant Hendrick Staets. The house was named after him.
In 1802, the house was thoroughly remodeled by the well-known Amsterdam Hodson family, who also occupied the house at that time.
The facade is a fine example of the Empire style which is rare in Amsterdam. Among other things, the house has four beautiful rooms in early 19th-century styles, a vestibule with magnificent paintings and an imposing hall with a Louis XV - stair banister.
Until 1942, the building was occupied by Amsterdam merchants, patricians, scientists and mayors. After that, like almost all properties in "The Golden Bend," it served as office space. In 1996 and thereafter it was thoroughly restored by the current residents and put back into use as a residence.