Just north of the former village of Buiksloot, d’Admiraal Windmill stands next to the Noordhollandsch Canal. The octagonal smock windmill was built in 1792 and used as a chalk and trass mill. Chalk was used in paint and mixed with linseed oil to make putty. Trass is ground tuff (a volcanic stone), a material that is a component of mortar. D’Admiraal is the last remaining chalk mill in the Netherlands.