So you’ve decided to finally make a move?
Below is a simple checklist to help you prepare for your exciting new adventure in the Amsterdam Metropolitan Area.
Once you arrive
- Register with your local embassy or consulate
- Register with the local municipality *
- Collect and/or arrange residence permit and/or work permit
- Arrange a local bank account
- Arrange local health insurance*
- Obtain a driving licence or exchange your current licence (if required)
- Register with a local doctor and dentist
- Find short-term/long-term accommodation
- Get connected (arrange telephone, internet, utilities, etc.)
- Learn the local language
- Join a group, club or association to meet others
- Get active in the local and/or expat community
- Adapt your CV to match the local style, and begin contacting local recruitment agencies
- Stay informed: throughout I amsterdam’s Living website you can find out about many more aspects of expat life in Amsterdam
- Check out the sights and museums, see a band or a play, go for dinner and a drink… in short, enjoy Amsterdam life!
* Please note: items marked with an asterisk are mandatory by law
IN Amsterdam partners
For a full list of the IN Amsterdam's partners, please click here.