Smederij Meister (nr. 74-76)
Buitenhuis naast Smederij Meister (nr. 80)
Caspar Flickhof (nr. 91).
Olympiagebouw (building, Bellamystraat 49)
Between 1928 and 1965, the neighbourhood cinema, the Olympia, was located in this building in the style of the Amsterdam School. Affectionately called Vlooientheater (flea pit) by the neighbourhood residents, the Olympia’s programme consisted mainly of cowboy films and epics. When the cinema closed down, the building was then used as a mosque and a Turks Cultureel Centrum (Turkish cultural centre). It is now a dance school.
The Olympiagebouw (Olympia building), 1987. Photo: Roeland Koning
Smederij Meister (forge, Bellamystraat 74-76)
Further down the street is Smederij Meister which took over these two polder houses in 1909. Judging by its stones, the plaster building has been dated to 1884 though the centre may be older. More than one hundred years later, the forge is still in operation.
View of the "Buitenhuis in de polder" (country house), Bellamystraat 80, 1969
Buitenhuis (country house, Bellamystraat 80)
During the summers in particular, the city smelt foul and the better off residents of Amsterdam fled to their country houses. Research into the building’s history shows that it was built after 1723. The original purpose of this country house has mostly been lost. We do know that the orientation has changed: the current front façade used to be the back.
Meisters en Zonen blacksmiths at work, 1987. Photo: Roeland Koning
Caspar Flickhof (courtyard, Bellamystraat 91)
Almost at the end of the street on the Caspar Flickhof is an old diamond cutting company from 1866. In 1897 ‘De Erven Caspar Flick’ (successors) had part of the building rebuilt into a cocoa factory. The chocolate company made ‘flikjes’ until 1924, named after the founder of these sugared chocolates.