Avoiding busy areas and peak times
Some places in Amsterdam can get crowded, especially on weekends or holidays. To avoid overcrowded areas, use the real-time Druktebeeld app below.
The popularity of Amsterdam, unfortunately, causes overcrowding in the city. This is especially visible in tourist spots such as Dam Square, Red Light District, Vondelpark and De Jordaan, but also in markets and shopping streets such as Albert Cuyp and Kalverstraat. City authorities can take measures to regulate crowds. Leave if an area gets too crowded.
Many of Amsterdam's most famous attractions can get busy at peak times. Follow the top tips in our dedicated article to skip the ticket booth queues, avoid the biggest crowds and experience some of the city's highlights at your own pace.
Please note that it may be busier than usual in Amsterdam on the following public holidays.
- New Year's Day (January 1, 2023)
- Good Friday (April 7, 2023)
- Easter (April 9 and 10, 2023)
- Kings Day (April 27, 2023)
- Liberation Day (May 5, 2023)
- Ascension Day (May 18, 2023)
- Whitsun Weekend (May 28 and 29, 2023)
- Christmas (December 25 and 26, 2023)