Architect: Unknown, possibly Jacobus Gerardus van Niftrik (1833-1910)
Commissioned by: Amsterdam City Council
The architect of the pumping station is unknown. It is possible that it was municipal engineer J.G. van Niftrik, who also constructed the Sarphatipark. The design, with brick ornaments and wooden decorations, makes it look as though the exterior is just one of the park’s decorative elements – a so-called folly – but it fulfils an important function.
The pumping station in 1894
Operation of the pumping station
In order to be able to refresh the water in the Sarphatipark’s ponds, water was channelled into the park through an underground pipe from the Stadhouderskade (quay), providing the ponds with fresh water by means of a waterfall. The pumping station, which stands on Tweede van der Helststraat, still carries the excess water away.
Current view of the pumping station from the side
From steam to electricity
The northern section of the pumping station contained the steam engine and the pump; the smaller southern section contained the boiler. The latter has not served the pumping station since an electric motor was installed in 1909.
The building has a prominent position in the Sarphatipark
Polder pumping stations
The Sarphatipark is, just like the rest of De Pijp, situated on the Binnendijkse Buitenveldertse polder. Another pumping station on the same polder is the former steam-driven pumping station on Koninginneweg, which served to drain the Vondelpark and Willemspark. This pumping station has listed status.