Special education became eligible for government subsidies as a result of the constitutional amendment in 1917. The association Kennis en Godsvrucht (Knowledge and Godliness) responded to this by establishing schools with a Jewish foundation. The first Jewish HBS (Secondary school) opened its doors in 1928 in a renovated residence at Herengracht 501. The school started out with 22 pupils.
Stadstimmertuin 1: Jewish high school located here from 1938.
Ten years later, in 1938, the pupils were moved to a real school building along the Voormalige Stadstimmertuin (former city carpentry gardens). The building dates back to 1901 and previously served as an electro-technical school. Architect J.S. Baars was responsible for the required renovations.
Stadstimmertuin 2: Jewish Lyceum located here from 1941.
The Jewish Lyceum was established across the street from the HBS in September 1941. Pupils that were no longer allowed by the occupier to attend public schools could go to school here. Anne Frank (1929-1945) also attended school here. Historian Jacques Presser (1899-1970) was one of the teachers. He described the school as ‘absurd’. Children disappeared weekly due to deportations or because they went into hiding. The classrooms were virtually empty in September 1943 and both schools were shut down.
Anne Frank once sat in this classroom. Photo: Roeland Koning.
The Jewish HBS was re-established in 1947. It was temporarily housed at Tweede Boerhaavestraat 7 (street), because the old school building needed to be completely renovated. The building was heightened by one floor by architect Abraham Oznowicz. The Jewish Lyceum Maimonides, named after the rabbit and philosopher from the 12th century, was established in 1959. The school moved to Buitenveldert in 1979/80. Both school buildings along the Voormalige Stadstimmertuin are currently part of the ROC (Regional educational centre).