Is your driving licence valid in the Netherlands?
As an international resident in the Netherlands, you can use your current driving licence for a certain period of time, after which you will be required to obtain a Dutch driving licence (rijbewijs).
- For EU and EFTA countries, licences are valid for 15 years from the date of issue (note: EU licences issued before 2013 are only valid for 10 years).
- For all other countries (including the Netherlands Antilles and Aruba) licences are valid for six months from the date you register at your local municipality.
Exchanging your driving licence for a Dutch one
You can exchange your driving licence for a Dutch one if you meet ALL of the following conditions:
- You live in the Netherlands and are registered with your local municipality
- You are from the EU, the EEA, Switzerland OR are from a country with a special agreement OR you have been awarded the 30% ruling
- You have a valid residence permit (not required if you are a citizen of the EU, EEA or Switzerland)
- Your current driving licence is valid
- Your current driving licence, if issued in a country outside the EU, was issued after being a resident of that country for at least 185 days
If you do not meet these conditions you cannot exchange your licence for a Dutch one. This means you will need to take a standard theory and practical test at the Central Office for Motor Vehicle Driver Testing (CBR) – certain parts of the CBR website are also available in English.
You can apply to exchange your driving licence at your local municipality. They submit your application to the Government Road Transportation Agency (Rijksdienst voor het Wegverkeer, RDW) and the appraisal process takes approximately two weeks. You are not permitted to drive while your application is being processed.
If you live in Amsterdam, learn more about exchanging your driving licence with the City of Amsterdam.
Certificate of Fitness
As part of your application to exchange your driving licence, you may be asked to provide a certificate of fitness (verklaring van geschiktheid), proving you are physically and psychologically fit to drive a vehicle. The certificate can be obtained from IN Amsterdam or by applying online on the CBR website.
International driving licence
When you are in possession of a Dutch driving licence you are also able to receive an international driving licence. You can buy an international driving licence booklet from the ANWB. They make an official booklet with information and a stamp. It is valid for one year (subject to a fee). Please note that for specific countries the international driving licence is not enough and additional documents may be required.
IN Amsterdam Partners
See a full list of IN Amsterdam partners, including driving schools in Amsterdam.