Taxis vs. public transport
Taxis can be handy when travelling to and from the airport, late at night when the trams have stopped running or when you're running late. Depending on the traffic during peak times, however, public transport may get you there even quicker.
What can you expect of Amsterdam taxis?
- The taxi meter will always be turned on and you will receive a receipt upon completion of the journey. Always store this receipt carefully as it contains all the information about the trip and the taxi.
- Taxi drivers must always accept short trips.
- Taxi drivers must deliver you safely to your destination via the shortest/quickest route.
- Not satisfied? If you have a bad experience, complaints can be made to www.taxiklacht.nl or call 0900-202 1881 (between 09:00 and 17:00). In order to make a complaint, you must be able to provide the number plate or the number of the taxi, the date and the time of the journey – these will be noted on your journey receipt.
Unlicensed taxis at Schiphol
Make sure you avoid taking one of the unlicensed, illegal taxis that operate at Amsterdam Airport Schiphol. You can recognise licensed taxis by their roof lights displaying the name of their operator (see below) and their blue number plates. The taxi meter must be turned on and the driver should follow all the rules mentioned above.
Transparent fees: rates for 2017
All licensed taxi drivers in Amsterdam must adhere to a defined fare structure. Below is an overview of the three components that are used to calculate the total price paid per journey.
Taxi car (maximum four passengers)
Maximum start price: €2.98
Maximum price per kilometre: €2.19
Maximum price per minute: €0.36
Taxi bus (five to eight passengers)
Maximum start price: €6.06
Maximum price per kilometre: €2.76
Maximum price per minute: €0.41
- €38.98 per hour
The newest component relates to the duration of the journey. This means, for example, that if your journey takes longer than average due to heavy traffic, it will cost a little bit more. But if there is no traffic and the journey is quicker than average, then likewise, the overall cost is a bit less than if paying purely by the distance covered.
Hailing a taxi
Amsterdam city centre is a myriad of roads, lanes and footpaths. Because space in the city centre is limited, taxis cannot stop anywhere they like. To keep traffic flowing in the city at peak efficiency, stopping is not allowed at various places. This is also one of the reasons why there are so many fixed taxi ranks. View a map of Amsterdam's fixed taxi ranks.
Official taxi operators in Amsterdam
- Taxicentrale Amsterdam (TCA) (with online booking service) – 020-777 7777
- Staxi (with online booking service) – 020 705 8888
- Taxistad (with online booking service) – 020-208 0000
- Taxi Direct Amsterdam (with online booking service) – 020-633 3333
- BBF (TCS and Schipholtaxi) (with online booking service) – 0900 900 6666
- Sustainable Taxi Services B.V. (Taxi Electric) (with online booking service) – 088-100 4444
- Aemstel Taxi (with online booking service) – 0900-0288
- TAT (Stichting Take a Taxi)
It wouldn't be Amsterdam if there weren't a few quirky alternatives on offer. For example, try a Bike Taxi or a Disco Taxi. Or to make an impression book a horse & carriage.
- Jan's Fietstaxi – 06-4650 2718
- Tuk Tuk Sightseeing – 06-2020 9294
- Karos Citytours (horse & carriage taxi) – 020-691 3478
- TomTours – 06-1494 2293
- Amsterdam Bike Taxi – 06-4541 2725
- Fietstaxi Sander – 06-2422 7753
- Amsterdam Fietstaxi – 06-4650 2718
- The Friendly Cab
- Sunny Pedicab Services – 06-2903 4079
- Disco Taxi (Maroni Sonelli) – 06-5469 8187
- Solar Rickshaw – 06-1529 6629
Special taxi services
- Van Delden Limousine Service – 020-684 8408
- DriveUgo (download mobile app)
- SELMS (download mobile app)
- Uber Amsterdam (download mobile app)
- Amsterdam Taxi Online – 06-1963 2963
- Connexxion Schiphol Hotel Shuttle – 088-339 4741
- myDriver (with online booking service)
- Schiphol Travel Taxi (with online booking service) – 020-653 1000
- Abel (download mobile app)
- Airport Transfer Amsterdam (for connections to Amsterdam Airport Schiphol)
You can find more information on Amsterdam’s taxis on the Gemeente Amsterdam website (in Dutch).