Citizen registration in the Amsterdam Area

Register a short or long stay in Amsterdam with the municipality (gemeente), and receive your citizen service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN).

New to the Amsterdam Area

If you are moving to the Netherlands from abroad, when you register with your local municipality, you will receive a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN) during your appointment. A BSN is required in order to be permitted to work, open a bank account, make use of a healthcare institution (a doctor or hospital) and to apply for benefits or an allowance. Note that is is very important to register the correct address and to notify the municipality on time if you change address.

If you are a highly skilled migrant (or are a graduate or entrepreneur) and are moving to a partner municipality, in many cases IN Amsterdam can also help with these matters. They offer a streamlined procedure for arranging permits, BSNs  and address registration.

Registering in Amsterdam

Citizen service number (BSN)

Everyone living in the Netherlands must have a citizen service number, often referred to as a BSN (burgerservicenummer). Anyone born in the Netherland...

Change of address

When moving to a new address in the Amsterdam Area, notify your local municipality (gemeente) no earlier than one month before and five working days a...


Before leaving the Netherlands, a number of matters need to be dealt with. One is deregistering from the Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie P...

IN Amsterdam

IN Amsterdam (formerly Expatcenter Amsterdam) provides a one-stop-shop service for international newcomers in the Amsterdam Area. We serve companies a...