Low Lighthouse (Lage Vuurtoren)
The ‘low’ lighthouse in IJmuiden is a round, reddish-brown, cast iron tower designed by Quirinus Harder.
The ‘low’ lighthouse was erected in 1878 by D.A. Schretlen & Co from Leiden. The tower itself is 24-metres high, and together with the nearby ‘high’ lighthouse, it marks a safe path around the entrance to the harbour.
Its five floors are accessed via 88 steps, although it was initially taller – three floors were moved to the island of Vlieland in 1909 to create a separate lighthouse there. Today the lighthouse is not staffed or open to the public.