Your citizen service number (BSN)

As a result of registering with the municipality you will be assigned a citizen service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN), which will be sent to your home address. A BSN is required in order to be permitted to work, open a bank account, make use of a healthcare institution and to apply for benefits or an allowance.

Which type of registration?

There are two types of possible municipal registration, depending on the length of your stay in the Netherlands. For those migrants who will be resident in the Netherlands for longer than four months, please read on below for more details about the standard registration procedures. Internationals who will be resident for four months or less should read more about the registration procedure for short stay migrants. Anyone coming from abroad to work or study still requires a BSN number, even for short stays.

Where to register in the Amsterdam Area

Where you can register in depends on the purpose of your stay:

  1. Municipal registration is arranged when collecting the initial residence permit
  2. Those who receive their residence permit directly from the IND can use this form to schedule an appointment for municipal registration
  3. Intermediaries (relocation agents, immigration lawyers, tax advisers, company contacts etc) can make an appointment for registration

Please note, there are applicable service fees when using IN Amsterdam’s streamlined services.

Registration requirements 

Everyone living in the Netherlands is required to register their address in the Personal Records Database (BRP). It is very important to be registered at the correct address of residence. Depending on individual circumstances, it may be necessary to present relevant birth, marriage or death certificates and other required documentation to the municipality upon registering for the first time.

Required documents

Not all documents are automatically valid in the Netherlands. The civil registry and IN Amsterdam will accept official documents in Dutch, English, French or German. An official translation may be required for other languages. Some documents may also require proof of authenticity (legalisatie). Learn more about document authorisation.

Accompanying partner and/or children

Partners and/or children must also register with the municipality. To do so, contact your local municipality or make an appointment to visit IN Amsterdam (provided at least one member of the family meets the IN Amsterdam criteria mentioned above). The following documents are required to register an accompanying child and/or partner:

  • Marriage certificate
  • Birth certificate of child(ren)
  • Deed of adoption or acknowledgement of child(ren)

Please note: Registration at your local city office is free; fees apply for registration at IN Amsterdam.

Moving within the Netherlands

If you have already completed immigration procedures during a previous move, registering a change of address within the Netherlands is typically a much simpler procedure. In many areas you can register your change of address in your municipality's online portal.

IN Amsterdam partners

See a list of IN Amsterdam’s partners, including translation services.