Discover Amsterdam
Meetings and Conventions
Live, Work and Study
Live, work and study
Discover Amsterdam
Meetings and Conventions
Live, Work and Study
De Baarsjes overview
Image from Edwin van Eis

Social security and insurances

The Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) is the organisation that implements national insurance schemes in the Netherlands. The schemes most likely to affect internationals and highly skilled migrants living and working in the Netherlands are listed below.

Child benefit

Child benefit or allowance is money from the government towards the expenses of raising a child. If you live or work in the Netherlands and you have a child or children under 18, you will receive Dutch child benefit. This is paid by the SVB.

AOW pension

The AOW is a Dutch state pension for people who have reached their pension age. If you live or work in the Netherlands, you will almost certainly be insured under the AOW scheme. This is paid out by the SVB.

Anw benefit

The benefits paid under the National Survivor Benefits Act (Anw) National are financial support from the government for people whose partner has died, and for children who are orphaned. This is paid by the SVB.


As a rule, people who live or work in the Netherlands are insured under the Long-term Care Act  (Wlz). This Act provides for reimbursement for care that is not covered by regular health insurance. People who are covered by the Wlz scheme are legally obliged to take out Dutch health insurance. Only a small group of people who live in the Netherlands are not insured under the Wlz scheme.

International secondment

If you work abroad temporarily, you can arrange to stay insured under the Dutch social insurance schemes by applying for an A1/(E)101 form through the SVB. Many countries will not allow you to work without one.


Under certain conditions, you can apply for exemption from compulsory insurance. You will then not have to pay national insurance contributions and you will no longer be covered under the national insurance schemes.

International social security agreements

A number of countries have social security agreements with the Netherlands. These agreements ensure that highly skilled migrants and (in some cases) their family members can remain insured under the legislation of their home country. You can find out more about the countries involved and the terms of the agreements at the Sociale Verzekeringsbank website