The Amsterdam Convention Bureau is here to help you leave a lasting impact with your next meeting or event. With access to businesses and knowledge, let us help you create value, to share innovations, and contribute to your mission and our city.
Visit the Venue Finder to find the right venue for your meeting
Seven reasons why Amsterdam is your perfect event destination
- Easily accessible by international train and plane (with the airport only 20 minutes away from the city centre by public transport). On top of that, Amsterdam is a very compact city with short travel times between hotels, venues and restaurants.
- Great digital connectivity: Amsterdam is a tech hub with one of the strongest internet backbones in the world and a leader in innovation and applying new technology. This assures you a well-connected and smooth-running hybrid meeting, for instance.
- More than 500 beautiful venues, easy to discover with our venue finder.
- More than 36,000 hotel rooms all close to, or within short travelling distance of, the venues.
- Iconic international destination with more than 800 years of history to discover and countless things to see and do.
- Extensive knowledge and business network coupled with world-class universities and research centres.
- Amsterdam is known for its commitment to collaboration and social connectivity. Parties involved in your event are well connected and accustomed to working together to offer you a complete solution.
Amsterdam is ready to welcome you after many months of pandemic-related challenges. The city has adjusted to the new situation with safe and accessible venues, hotels, restaurants and transport options. Read about the successful events we hosted in 2020.
Amsterdam top rankings
Let the facts and figures speak for themselves. This is how Amsterdam ranks globally:
#5 among world’s best cities for smart mobility
Amsterdam is among the world's best cities for smart mobility, according to Urban Mobility Readiness Index. The city currently has an ambitious plan to make Amsterdam the global capital of emission-free mobility.
#5 Europe’s densest and most innovative life sciences and health community
Amsterdam is a world leader in life sciences and health. The region has internationally renowned universities, academic hospitals and research institutions, including the Netherlands Cancer Institute (NKI) and the Netherlands Institute for Neuroscience. The life sciences and health industry thrives on cooperation and the proximity of businesses and academic institutions, which creates a unique synergy few other locations can offer.
#6 city for international association meetings 2021 in Europe
The International Convention Destination compiles a global ranking of destination’s performance in attracting international conferences. Amsterdam places #6 as most competitive convention destination in Europe and #17 in the global ranking.
#1 safest city in Europe and #6 worldwide
The The Safe Cities Index annually reveals the world’s safest cities in terms of digital, health, infrastructure and personal security. Amsterdam scores high in all four areas, topping the Europe rankings and placing sixth worldwide.
#1 sustainable European city
Ranking over 50 cities based on 13 equally weighted environmental policies, Schroders European Sustainable Cities index covers subjects like renewable energy, cleaner public transport, electric vehicle charging, single use plastic, air quality, climate plans, carbon neutrality goals and waste policy. Amsterdam holds the #1 position in 2021.
#11 most sustainable city worldwide
The Sustainable Cities Index ranks global cities on three pillars of sustainability: People, Planet and Profit. The three pillars are closely aligned to the UN Sustainable Development Goals and Amsterdam ranks 11th globally.
#3 best airport in Western Europe
The annual World Airport Awards declared Amsterdam Airport Schiphol the third best airport in Western Europe in 2022 and #7 in Europe overall. Schiphol is the third-busiest airport in Europe in terms of passenger volume and the busiest in Europe in terms of aircraft movement.
#1 for direct connectivity and hub connectivity
Airports Council International (ACI) Europe publishes the yearly Airport Industry Connectivity Report. Amsterdam took the number one spot in 2022, and has been a top performer throughout the pandemic ranking #3 for global hub connectivity.
#17 Smart City Index 2021
According to the Smart City Index 2021, Amsterdam is in the world’s top 20 smart cities “that apply technology to enhance the benefits and diminish the shortcomings of urbanization for its citizens”. Amsterdam scores highly in internet speed and reliability, cultural activities and public transport.
#1 proficiency in English
The Netherlands ranks #1 in Europe as well as worldwide with very high proficiency in English language.
Interested in discovering more areas where Amsterdam is leading the way? Find more international rankings for Amsterdam.