Architect: Herman A.J. Baanders (1876-1953) en Jan Baanders (1884-1966)
Commissioned by: het bestuur van de Vereeniging tot Aanleg van een Rij- en Wandelpark te Amsterdam (Association for the building of a Riding and Walking park in Amsterdam)
Year of construction: 1936
After the Indonesian tea house – called the Swiss Tea House because the public recognised a chalet in the design – burnt down, the Baanders brothers were again commissioned to design a replacement tea house. The Blauwe Theehuis (Blue Tea House) was the result, with a leaseholder’s residence on the top floor. The Blauwe Theehuis is built in the functional architecture style, with an almost circular floor plan.
The milk and teahouse, designed by L.P. Zocher, 1875-1880
The octagonal shape means that the building has no front and back and is completely open to the park. The building consists of three circles on top of each other and is entirely made of concrete, steel and glass. The tea house is clearly named after the bright blue painted steel windows, doors and pillars which support the floors. Other expressions of the functional architecture style are the interplay between open and closed surfaces and the apparent displacement of gravity.
Firefighting at the teahouse, 1936. Photo: ANP
When the current owners took possession of the building in 1998, the leaseholder’s residence on the top floor also became part of the tea house. It has a terrace where guests can enjoy the wonderful view of the Vondelpark, designed by landscape architect Jan David Zocher. In 2006 its status changed from only a hospitality venue to also become a ‘house of the municipality’: an officially recognised wedding location.
The Blauwe Theehuis (blue teahouse), 2011