Types of insurance

Learn about the kinds of insurance you can purchase in the Netherlands:

Liability insurance (aansprakelijkheidsverzekering or WA verzekering)

In the Netherlands, you are legally liable if someone suffers damage because of an accident that you cause. Personal liability insurance covers almost all damage for which you, your child or your pet might be held liable, regardless of how the incident in question occurred. However, damage caused by motor vehicles is not covered.

Home contents insurance (inboedelverzekering)

Insure yourself against damage to the contents of your home with an inboedelverzekering policy. In some larger cities, you will always have an excess or deductible (eigen risico) for theft, and there is typically a maximum payout for audio-visual equipment. It is important to make sure your home’s contents are insured at replacement value.

Health and dental insurance (zorgverzekering / [aanvullende] tandartsverzekering)

Everyone living in the Netherlands is required to take out health insurance (though not dental coverage) to protect against the financial risks of illness and hospital stays. Learn more about health insurance.

Funeral insurance (uitvaartverzekering)

If you should pass away in the Netherlands, your next of kin will have to bear the expense of your funeral or cremation. To avoid burdening them, you can take out funeral insurance to cover the cost.

Car insurance (autoverzekering)

If you own a vehicle in the Netherlands, you must have liability insurance to cover the cost of damage to the vehicle.

IN Amsterdam Partners 

For a full list of IN Amsterdam’s partners, including insurance companies, please click here.

Further information

If you require further information about insurance, contact ACCESS or IN Amsterdam.