How to find student accommodation in the Amsterdam Area
Some universities and institutions have access to a limited number of rooms for international students. UvA, Vrije Universiteit, Amsterdam University of Applied Science and Inholland University of Applied Sciences, for example, have procedures in place to help international students find housing. Generally, these include a private bedroom and a shared kitchen, bathroom and living space. These spaces are highly sought-after so don’t delay your application.
Please note: Always follow the advice from your university about finding accommodation. It is not advisable to arrive in the Amsterdam area without first securing somewhere to stay. Demand currently outstrips supply and it may prove difficult to arrange a contract at short notice.
Try a student housing corporation
There are non-profit social housing corporations in the Amsterdam Area that specialise in working with students. For example, Studentenwoningweb is a dedicated part of the WoningNet platform, while Room lists accommodation in all of the major university cities in the Netherlands. Platforms like these operate with registrations and waiting lists, so it's a good idea to sign up well in advance of your move to the Amsterdam Area!
Websites for finding student accommodation
You can also check out these websites to find alternative student housing, including temporary and long term options. Note: if it sounds too good to be true, it probably is. Have a read of these tips to avoid rental scams, as sadly they sometimes target students.
- Kamer.nl connects students with rooms, studios and apartments. Users can create a profile listing their specifications to receive email alerts on relevant properties.
- Kamernet is a large search engine of rental apartments and rooms. A fee is required to respond to advertisements.
- KamersAmsterdam (in Dutch) features a range of affordable, student-friendly rooms in Amsterdam.
- Rooftrack is a convenient way to search all of the current rental listings from housing corporations and real estate developers. The site is in English and allows you to create a profile that filters your preferences.
- The Student Hotel is a 'cheekily innovative' concept that is somewhere in between a hotel and student accommodation. You can view the rooms online and book for a week or whole semester.
- Hotel Jansen is a short-stay hotel for students, new graduates and interns in Amsterdam. The tastefully-decorated rooms can be rented for one day up to six months.
- Housing Anywhere is an online housing platform where students can find accommodation for mid and long-term stays around the world.
- Student Experience provides modern fully-furnished apartments close to Vrije Universiteit.
- Pararius is a hub of short and long-term rental properties through various agencies.
- Funda is a free website with loads of properties for rent and purchase.
- ASVA Student Union features a selection of rooms for rent. In addition, they offer free juridical advice and a range of cheap, legal bikes.
Facebook groups for finding rooms in Amsterdam
Facebook groups are quickly becoming the go-to way to find a room or apartment in Amsterdam. Here are the most actively updated groups:
- Amsterdam Apartments 4 Rent
- Kamer gezocht in Amsterdam
- Woningen te huur in Amsterdam
- Kamers Gezocht/Aangeboden
Things to keep in mind:
- Everyone who lives in the Netherlands needs to register with the local municipality – yes, even students. So make this a priority once you’ve found your new home. Find out more about registration.
- Check whether the rent is inclusive (inclusief) of gas, water, electricity etc and factor this in to the cost.
- A deposit of one or two months’ rent is usually required. This is refunded if you leave the property in good condition.
- Be aware of illegal subletting as this can affect your rights as a tenant.
- If in doubt, check your rights. Contact !WOON or drop in at one of their helpdesks.
Though we are striving to provide a broad overview of the organisations and platforms focused on housing for internationals, please be aware that you may encounter scams. To stay safe, review this helpful information from !WOON before starting your search.