The original church of Grootschermer collapsed in 1612 during a violent storm. 5000 guilders was made available for reconstruction. On June 15, 1762, the foundation stone of the current Reformed Church was laid by the five-year-old son of the then pastor.
The Village Church in Grootschermer
Pulpit, baptismal gate and benches are arranged perpendicular to the longitudinal direction of the hall. Most of the furniture comes from the earlier church. The tower rooster and the loud bell date from 1648. The bell still contains the old weapon of the Schermer, the mole and two pikes. A number of copper attributes in the church date from 1764. The dial of the tower clock on the east side is larger than that on the west side because one had to be able to observe the time from afar from the Eilandspolder (working area of many villagers). The hall church is largely still in its original state and thoroughly restored in 1978. An attempt has been made to bring back the old colors as much as possible. The church is accessible to the disabled and can accommodate 170 people.