Health insurance for Amsterdam students

Everyone living in the Netherlands is obliged to have basic health insurance, otherwise they risk a fine. International students can usually keep their insurance from home, if it covers them being abroad, or use the European Health Insurance Card (for EU, EEA and Swiss citizens). But it’s important to note that if you have a job next to your studies, or are doing an internship where you earn more than €150 a month or €1500 a year, you need to take out a Dutch health insurance, even if you’re covered elsewhere.

More information about health insurance

Read more about health insurance here, but note that as an international student, you don’t need Dutch health insurance, unless you’re also working. This link has more information about health insurance for students and what to do if you get a letter from the Dutch government organisation Zorginstituut Nederland.

Liability insurance

Liability insurance is generally strongly recommended if you live in the Netherlands, and at several  universities, it’s actually mandatory for non-EU/EEA students who apply for a residence permit through them. Liability insurance covers the costs if you accidentally damage the property of others, or cause an accident. There are many liability insurance packages offered by all big insurance companies.