The Burger orphanage
In 1661, an orphanage for poor children was built on the Koemarkt in Purmerend, and at the end of the 16th or start of the 17th century a town house was built on the spot where Wateringen cloisters previously stood. The town house served as a guesthouse, but also as a place to care for the sick. In 1746 the town house and orphanage merged, after which the sick care was housed elsewhere.
In 1789 the premises were renovated, the gable tablet above the entrance refers to this event. 'In this renewed building, love, help and comfort live. Here, Charity cares for ‘parentless offspring'.
Up to the mid twentieth century, the building served as an orphanage. After that, it became a school, then a youth shelter and later a bank. The municipality bough the monument in 2000. Briefly it housed a restaurant and delicatessen, but after that it remained empty for years. Since 2009 the building has been used occasionally to sell local products.