The Proveniershof or Proeve is an group of alms houses set up in 1555 bij Jan Claeszoon Brouwer on the site of the houses of the Beguines, a sisterhood of nurses. The two wings of the building date mostly from the 17th century, although at a later date a fair amount of changes were brought about. The small bleaching field of the Beguines has now been changed into a superb courtyard garden, always a mass of colourful flowers.