Fort Nekkerweg was only completed in 1912. Almost immediately after that, the fort was given another purpose. In 1918 it was put to use as a military prison. In the period following, many conscientious objectors served their sentences here.
Almost nothing remains of the original interior of the fort. The concrete machine gun line-ups on the front embankment and the fort guard’s house have remained reasonably intact. South of this fort there is an inlet in De Beemster ring dike that was needed for the inundation of De Beemster. Fort Nekkerweg was intended as a defense for the higher roads in De Beemster: the Nekkerweg and the Volgerweg.
After renovation the fort, in 2012 it was put to use as a fort resort.