This church was built by Purmerend’s city architect P. Mager, during an eclectic movement between 1878 and 1880; it replaced an earlier church dating from 1712. On the top of the tower there is a weather vane in the form of a swan, typical of Evangelical-Lutheran churches.
Until March 2011 this church was in use as the central church of the Protestant Communities in Purmerend. Occasional celebrations still take place in this church, as well as exhibitions and (organ) concerts. The goal is to integrate the management of this monumental church in a foundation.