Following the construction of the residential complex, De Dageraad had some space left over, which had been given the name Coöperatiebuurt (Cooperation neighbourhood) in 1921. In 1922, De Dageraad charged architect De Klerk with coming up with a plan for this space. Originally the intention was to build 178 houses, 13 shops and 8 small workshops, as well as a reading and meeting hall. Due to the death of De Klerk, the plan was entrusted to architect Kramer. This architect came up with a courtyard with a ring of low-rise buildings containing flats, a library with a meeting hall and flats in the outer ring.
Coöperatiehof (Cooperation Court)
The reading room
A plaque above the entrance with a picture of books still testifies to the original function of the central building as a public reading room. This building is the most interesting one in stylistic terms. The high belfry symbolizes the intellectual elevation of the worker. The interior featured decorations with an uplifting character. On the ground floor there was initially a meeting hall.
Scuplture in the garden of the Coöperatiehof
To the rear of the reading room, in the central line of sight of P.L. Takstraat, Kramer designed a memorial to J.W.C. Tellegen (1859-1921). Tellegen was Director of Municipal Housing and Building Control from 1901 to 1915 and Mayor of Amsterdam from 1915 to 1921. Along with Alderman Floor Wibaut (1859-1936), he was the driving force behind this large-scale public housing project in the Amsterdam School architectural style.
Unveiling memorial J.W.C. Tellegen (1859-1921) Coöperatiehof, 1929. Photo: Vereenigde Fotobureaux.