City Card shopping basket
Total

Centrum - Oost, de Plantage

This part of the city is characterised by the tree-lined Plantage area containing world-renowned Artis Zoo and the former Jewish quarter. In fact, Amsterdam's nickname “Mokum” is taken from the Hebrew word for "place”. The city’s first Jewish immigrants settled down in the area surrounding Waterlooplein Square in the early 17th century. They encountered a cultural climate of religious tolerance and built large synagogues, as well as Jewish libraries, hospitals and homes for the elderly.

0 results

Category

Metaarhuis NIZ

This cleansing unit for patients at the Nederlands Israëlietisch Ziekenhuis (NIZ) (Dutch Israelite Hospital) who had died was part of an extensive Jew...

Bondsgebouw ANDB

The Algemene Nederlandse Diamantbewerkers Bond (ANDB) (General Dutch Diamond Cutters’ Union) was the first modern union in the Netherlands. Many succe...

Portugese Synagoge

This impressive building dating back to 1675 was the largest synagogue in the world at the time and symbolised the religious tolerance of Amsterdam in...

The Jewish invalid

From 1937 this modern care home (architect: J.F. Staal) was used by The Jewish Invalid Society. Established in 1911 and financed entirely by private d...

Palacheschool

This school building was put into use as a Jewish primary school by the association Kennis en Godsvrucht (Knowledge and Godliness) in 1929. The school...