City Card shopping basket

eu citizens

Are you moving to Amsterdam from another EU country? EU citizens relocating to another EU country have many unanswered questions: What are the rules on health insurance? Do I need to register? Can I use my driving licence? For information on all these questions and more, see below.

Register in Amsterdam

Register a short or long stay in Amsterdam with the municipality (gemeente), and receive your citizen service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN).

Visa requirements

The majority of foreign nationals wishing to stay in the Netherlands for up to three months require a short stay visa or Schengen visa (Schengenvisum)...

Third culture kids

Third Culture Kids (or TCKs) refers to those who have spent part of their youth in cultures outside their passport country. The term was first coined ...

Registering marriage

If you're planning on getting married in Amsterdam, there are a few details to add to the to-do list before the big day.

Document authentication

Those coming to live in the Netherlands from abroad may be asked to show documents from their country of origin, such as a birth or marriage certifica...

Sworn or affirmed statement

If it is not possible to supply official source documents, you can make a sworn or affirmed statement at the municipality. In this case, the necessary...

Documents & certificates

Find out the latest on document authentication, certificates (marriage, birth, death) sworn statements and how to get an extract from the municipality...

Driving licence

If you intend to drive a car in the Netherlands, you will need to pay close attention to the rules pertaining to driving licences. If you plan to rema...