Duration: 1/2 day or full day
- The easiest way to get to Almere Centrum is by train from Amsterdam Central Station (towards Lelystad Centrum, platform 10a, 25 mins). Begin your visit at the Almere Tourist Information Centre (VVV) B, a short walk from the train station at the end of the main shopping street. The VVV provides you with everything you need to have a great day in Almere.
- Aside from its trendy shopping – you’ll find brands like Hugo Boss, G-star and Rituals – Almere is famous for its outstanding modern architecture. Cycle and walking routes take in all of the city’s iconic buildings and bikes can be rented at the VVV, where you will also be provided with special ‘architecture routes’ that explain exactly what you are seeing.
- If you have some extra time, don’t miss the Nationaal Park Nieuw Land, a unique nature reserve comprising 56km2 of protected marshlands and fields. You’ll find a wide variety of deer, cattle, birds and Konik horses. Nationaal Park Nieuw Land, also known as the ‘New Wilderness’, is within cycling distance of Almere Centrum.
- Homemade pies and local products are served in Gasterij Oostvaardersplassen, a cosy restaurant with wonderful views of the beautiful surroundings.
- If you’re cycling from Almere to Nationaal Park Nieuw Land then you can see the eye-catching architecture of the city’s residential neighbourhoods, including the Regenboogbuurt (Rainbow Neighborhood), Klein India (Little India) and the impressive Katterugwoningen (cat back houses). Find out more about architecture in Almere.