Duration: full day
- Set your alarm because today you’ll discover the wonderful world of flowers at the FloraHolland flower auction. The earlier you get here, the more you’ll see. Experience the hustle and bustle of the auction floor, watch traders bidding against the clock and be amazed at the amount of beautiful blooms traded daily from more than 10 countries.
- To get there from Amsterdam Central Station, take bus 172 to Aalsmeer, stop FloraHolland (1 hour, direct connection).
- After your visit, take bus 172 again to the Hortensiaplein stop. From here you can walk to Westeinder Rondvaart (20 mins total), a company that operates boat tours on the Aalsmeer lakes. You’ll float past countless islands teeming with flora and fauna (www.westeinderrondvaart.nl).
- Next to Westeinder Rondvaart is Aalsmeer Historic Gardens, which takes you through the horticultural history of Aalsmeer between 1700 and 1940.
- Refuel in the centre of Aalsmeer, with its many cafés, restaurants and shops. While there make sure you have a walk around the centre and take in the numerous historical monuments.
- Bus 172 from Hortensiaplein will take you back to Amsterdam.