Duration: 1/2 day or full day
- Take a tram, metro or train from Amsterdam Central Station to Amsterdam Amstel. From there, take either the 320, 322 or 327 bus to the P+R Terrein stop, Muiden. The buses run regularly and the journey takes around 20 mins.
- Take a walk through the historic centre of Muiden, a fortified town which sits near the IJmeer and dates back to the 10th century. It is known for its peaceful streets, small cafés, historic landmarks and picturesque harbour.
- After your walk head to the medieval Muiderslot Castle (Entry is free with your I amsterdam City Card).
- If you follow the canal towards Muiden, you will see the ferry to Pampus Island on your right hand after about 500 metres (you can get a 25% discount on the price with your I amsterdam City Card).
- The island and abandoned fort have a mysterious air and make for an interesting day out for visitors of all ages. The fort was once part of the Defence Line of Amsterdam, a 135-kilometre-long system of fortifications that defended the city by means of flooding.
- Another ferry runs directly from Pampus Island to Amsterdam IJburg (www.amsterdamboatexcursion.com), from where you can take tram 26 back to Amsterdam Central Station. Get a special discount (25% off) with your I amsterdam City Card from April – October.