Simplified procedures for knowledge migrants & scientific researchers

As of 1 January 2014, highly skilled migrants from non-EU countries with the official residence status of knowledge migrant or scientific researcher no longer have to present a copy of their birth certificate when registering in the Municipal Personal Records Database. The Expatcenter is delighted with this significant step in reducing the administrative burden for such an important target group.

Please note that EU nationals must still present their birth certificate. Also, the children of knowledge migrant/scientific researcher always require a birth certificate for registration, while a marriage certificate may be requested for a partner or spouse. The Expatcenter’s account managers can advise which documentation is required for registration, as it can vary per case. For additional information, read more about registration.

Expatcenter can arrange a BSN for short stay migrants

As of 6 January 2014, the Expatcenter is able to apply for a personal public service number (burgerservicenummer, BSN) for employees on a short-term assignment (four months or less). Short stay migrants can now be registered in the Registry for Non-Residents (Registratie Niet Ingezetenen, RNI), which is part of the new Municipal Personal Records Database legislation (Wet Basisregistratie Personen). This means that they need no longer request a social security number from the Dutch Tax Office (Belastingdienst), but will instead receive their BSN directly when registering their residence. Learn more about registration for short stay migrants.

There are two locations in Amsterdam where short stay migrants can be entered into the Registry for Non-Residents: Amsterdam City Hall and the Expatcenter. Registering via the Expatcenter procedure requires a work permit (for non-EU citizens) and an employment contract (for EU citizens). The service fee to register via the Expatcenter is €50.

Expatcenter introduces biometric scanning technology

In order to prevent abuse and fraud with residence documents, from 1 February 2014 all new residence permits will include a readable chip with a passport identification photo and two fingerprints. To accommodate this new level of security, both the IND and the Expatcenter will introduce biometric devices that can record and read photos and fingerprints.

Highly skilled migrants that require a temporary residence permit (MVV) before coming to the Netherlands should visit the embassy or consulate of their home nation to have a photograph taken and their fingerprints recorded. This data will then be sent to the IND so that their residence card can be created. When the highly skilled migrant visits the Expatcenter to collect their card, they will have their fingerprints scanned once more as verification. Applicants who do not require a temporary residence permit can have their photo and fingerprints recorded at the Expatcenter and their card will be available to collect after three working days.