Child benefit

Child benefit or allowance is money from the government towards the expenses of raising a child. If you live or work in the Netherlands and you have a child or children under 18, you will receive Dutch child benefit. This is paid out by the SVB. Read more.

AOW pension

The AOW is a Dutch state pension for people who have reached their pension age. If you live or work in the Netherlands, you will almost certainly be insured under the AOW scheme. This is paid out by the SVB. Read more.

Anw benefit

The benefits paid under the National Survivor Benefits Act (Anw) are financial support from the government for people whose partner has died, and for children who are orphaned. This is paid by the SVB. Read more.


As a rule, people who live or work in the Netherlands are insured under the Long-term Care Act  (Wlz). This Act provides for reimbursement for care that is not covered by regular health insurance. People who are covered by the Wlz scheme are legally obliged to take out Dutch health insurance. Only a small group of people who live in the Netherlands are not insured under the Wlz scheme. Read more.

International secondment

If you work abroad temporarily, you can arrange to stay insured under the Dutch social insurance schemes by applying for an A1/(E)101 form. Many countries will not allow you to work without one. Read more.


Under certain conditions, you can apply for exemption from compulsory insurance. You will then not have to pay national insurance contributions and you will no longer be covered under the national insurance schemes.

International social security agreements

A number of countries have social security agreements with the Netherlands. These agreements ensure that highly skilled migrants and (in some cases) their family members can remain insured under the legislation of their home country. You can find out more about the countries involved and the terms of the agreements at the Sociale Verzekeringsbank website