Where to celebrate Thanksgiving in Amsterdam
Given Amsterdam is home to a thriving international community, it should come as no surprise that the city offers plenty of places to celebrate the American Thanksgiving holiday. It doesn’t matter whether you’re from the US or just fancy filling up on a delicious feast brimming with turkey, gravy, stuffing and pumpkin pie, we’ve picked out some events to help you celebrate Thanksgiving 2018. Do keep in mind that reservations are required for most of them.
- The Thanksgiving dinner at Café Belcampo is the successor of the traditional dinner organised for many years at the American Book Centre. Turkey, a vegetarian main dish, mashed potatoes, gravy, dressing, sweet potatoes and corn are provided, and guests are asked to bring a starter or dessert to share.
- Wyers is rolling out the roasted turkey and trimmings for an authentic American feast: the four-course family-style dinner includes duck confit salad and sweets by the pastry team.
- If you can’t celebrate on 22 November, no need to worry: Seasons Restaurant offers three- and four-course Thanksgiving meals over three days – 21 to 23 November – and the menu includes delicacies such as slowly smoked turkey with cornbread stuffing, mashed and sweet potatoes with marshmallows and pecans and sugar snaps with miso and almonds.
- Amsterdam’s own New York Brunch Bar Staring at Jacob is hosting a family-style Thanksgiving dinner.
- American icon the Hard Rock Cafe is having a full traditional turkey dinner with all the trimmings, including corn chowder, pumpkin pie, and, of course, turkey (plus a vegetarian option).
- Specialists in smoking birds, Frank’s Smoke House can certainly be relied upon for getting the turkey right. It comes with all the trimmings at the restaurant’s Franksgiving extravaganza, taking place on Sunday, 25 November.
- The Christian student organisation Conexxion Amsterdam hosts a Thanksgiving dinner on Saturday 24 November, where you can cook your own dish and bring it along to share with others.
If you prefer to celebrate Thanksgiving at home or at a friend’s house, check our tips on where to buy everything you need for a perfect Thanksgiving dinner. Also make sure you’re prepared for the festive season: our overview of Christmas dining has got you covered.