Local elections in Amsterdam - who can vote?

People living in Amsterdam will have the opportunity to vote in the local elections in March this year. As well as Dutch nationals, an estimated 450,000 foreigners will also be able to vote. The City Council will then select the city’s Alderpersons who, together with the Mayor, form the College. The College of Mayor and Alderpersons governs the city and is held accountable by the City Council.

You are able to vote in the city council elections if you are 18 years or older, are registered as a citizen of Amsterdam, and you are a national of a European Union country or you are a national of a country from outside the European Union but have been legally resident in the Netherlands continuously for at least five years (unbroken)*. You will only be able to vote in the city council elections if you are registered as living in Amsterdam before 6 February 2018.

Amsterdam's District Committee elections

Amsterdam residents will also able to vote for committee members for their city districts on 21 March. An extension of the College and the Council, each District Committee will select an executive board consisting of three members, whose job it is to focus on more local issues. In addition to Amsterdam residents who are EU nationals, residents who are nationals of non-EU countries are also allowed to vote if they have legally resided in the Netherlands for a consecutive period of at least three years*.

Referendum on intelligence and security 

On 21 March 2018, Dutch citizens will also be able to vote in the advisory referendum on the new Intelligence and Security Services Act (Wiv) – a new law giving the security services greater powers. Participation in the referendum is only possible for citizens who hold Dutch nationality and are 18 years or older.

Find out more about voting in the elections – including how to vote and where to do it.

* In this instance, legal residence is defined as being registered in the Municipal Personal Records Database (Basisregistratie Personen, BRP) and holding a valid residence permit throughout the stated period.