Were you legally resident in the Netherlands on 31 December 2020?

If you were resident in the Netherlands and registered in the personal records database on 31 December 2020, you are able to remain living, working and studying in the Netherlands under the terms of the Brexit Withdrawal Agreement. After successfully applying for a residence document (you must do so before 30 June 2021), you will remain eligible to apply for student financial support in the Netherlands and pay only the statutory tuition fees at Dutch education institutions (provided you meet all other conditions applicable to Dutch or European students).

These rights continue to apply even if you are starting a new course after 1 January 2021.

Are you moving to the Netherlands after 31 December 2020?

Post-Brexit, British citizens no longer have access to freedom of movement in the EU, so cannot simply migrate to other European countries without meeting the required immigration conditions.

If a British citizen now wants to move to the Netherlands for a study programme, they must apply for a residence permit from the IND. Even if this residence permit is granted, in most cases you will not be eligible to apply for student financial support in the Netherlands and you will be expected to pay institutional fees for your course. Institutional fees are typically much higher than the statutory tuition fees paid by Dutch and EU citizens.

To obtain a residence permit to study in the Netherlands, the first step is to apply for a course at an approved education institution. Upon being accepted to the course, you will be able to apply for a residence permit from the IND, provided you meet all conditions at the time. If you have questions about the procedure to apply for a residence permit, the education institution may be able to offer advice and assistance with the application.

Your residence permit is valid for the duration of your study, provided you continue to meet all of its conditions. If you want to remain in the Netherlands following your study programme, you will have to apply for a new residence permit, for example, for work purposes. It may also be possible to apply for an Orientation Year permit, which allows graduates to be resident in the Netherlands for a year while looking for suitable work.


At the end of the Brexit transition period, the United Kingdom announced that it will not become an Erasmus+ programme nation for the period 2021-2027. The full consequences of this are still to be determined. Study and research programmes which were already underway as part of the 2014-2020 period will continue to receive funding for their full duration. However, for British citizens studying or working in the Netherlands, it is important that all necessary residence permit requirements are met in 2021 and beyond.

More details of the upcoming Erasmus+ period are set to be announced in March. The UK has announced it will launch the Turing scheme, a comparable international study platform.