What is the coronavirus entry pass?
The coronavirus entry pass shows proof of vaccination status, recovery from the coronavirus or a negative test result. Learn about using the coronavirus entry pass in the Netherlands, what to do if you were vaccinated in another country, what you can do if you live outside of the EU, or you require a free coronavirus test (Testen voor Toegang).
How do you use the coronavirus entry pass in the Netherlands?
The coronavirus entry pass, also known as a Digital COVID Certificate, is a QR-code which can be scanned to confirm your vaccination status, proof of recovery from coronavirus, or a negative test result. Most residents in the Netherlands can use the CoronaCheck app on their smartphone to display the valid QR-code. It is also possible to a create a PDF to print.
If you cannot provide proof of vaccination or recovery, everyone – residents or visitors to the Netherlands – can take a free coronavirus test (Testen voor Toegang). A negative test result can be used for the coronavirus entry pass. This is valid for 24 hours.
I live in the Netherlands and I want to generate proof of vaccination or recovery from coronavirus:
- If you received your COVID-19 vaccinations or recovered from coronavirus here in the Netherlands, the simplest method to create your coronavirus entry pass is to download the CoronaCheck app on your smartphone. Request a vaccination certificate or proof of recovery. You will be asked to log in via DigiD. After doing so, your coronavirus vaccination or recovery status will be shown and you will be prompted to generate a QR-code – one is provided for use in the Netherlands, one is provided for international travel.
- If you do not have access to a smartphone, you can generate a QR-code via a web browser. Visit the CoronaCheck website, change the language if required, then continue to log in via DigiD. The website will generate a PDF which you can save, print or display on a screen.
- If you do not have a valid DigiD – for example, you are a privileged person or diplomatic status holder – you can apply for a COVID certificate by calling the CoronaCheck helpdesk at 0800-1421 or email email@example.com.
- If you cannot use any of these methods to create your coronavirus entry pass, please see ‘Book a free coronavirus test (Testen voor Toegang)’ below.
I was vaccinated or recovered from coronavirus in another EU country:
- If you have been vaccinated or recovered from coronavirus in another EU country, you are entitled to create an EU Digital COVID Certificate. In this case, you must use the smartphone app or online system provided by that EU nation. A valid QR-code generated in this system can also be used in the Netherlands. If you have a problem generating your EU Digital COVID Certificate, please see ‘Book a free coronavirus test (Testen voor Toegang)’ below.
I was vaccinated or recovered from coronavirus outside of the EU:
- If you live in the Netherlands but you were vaccinated in a non-EU country and are able to provide a certified vaccination certificate from your vaccination provider, you will be able to request a Digital COVID Certificate in the Netherlands. To register your vaccination status you will need to make an appointment by calling +31 (0)30 800 2899.
- If you do not live in the Netherlands or you cannot provide a certified vaccination certificate or proof of recovery from coronavirus, you cannot apply for a Digital COVID Certificate in the Netherlands. Please see ‘Book a free coronavirus test (Testen voor Toegang)’ below.
Book a free coronavirus test (Testen voor Toegang):
- If you cannot provide proof of vaccination or proof of recovery, a negative coronavirus test result is sufficient.
- Book a free test appointment via the Testen voor Toegang website. This service is accessible to all residents and visitors to the Netherlands.
- Your test result will be quickly available. A negative test will be valid for 24 hours and can be converted to a QR-code using the CoronaCheck app or the CoronaCheck website. No DigiD login is required.
- Of course, should your test return a positive result, you will not be able to generate a QR-code. You will be advised to book a PCR coronavirus test at a nearby public health service (GGD) test centre to confirm the result. You must self-isolate until the result has been received. If this test result is also positive, you will be contacted by the public health service with further advice.
- Please note: the free coronavirus tests provided by Testen voor Toegang are only valid for 24 hours and can be used to access social and public facilities in the Netherlands. A negative test result from this service cannot be used for international travel.