Amsterdam’s vision for the future
The Amsterdam Comprehensive Vision is a set of broad ideas of how the city should develop to promote the prosperity, wellbeing and happiness of residents and visitors into 2050. Residents and various government representatives were involved in drawing up the draft proposals. If you disagree with any of the points or think something is missing from the vision, you can formally submit your opinion by email, post or by scheduling a talk with a representative.
An even better place to live
The proposal addresses ways in which Amsterdam can better accommodate future growth in a way that benefits all residents. There are suggestions for large-scale investment in infrastructure, amenities and public spaces, and solutions to address rising house prices and rents. It also addresses socio-economic divides such as the distribution of effects of mass tourism on certain neighbourhoods. Another major focus is on sustainability, and propelling Amsterdam towards a greener future. The strategy includes ideas for reducing waste and embracing alternative energy solutions.
Read a summary of the Amsterdam Comprehensive Vision for 2050 in English (PDF).
The strategy’s five focus areas
• polycentric development - moving towards a multi-centred, more diverse urban model than focusing on the city centre
• growth within limits – addressing increased urban density through comprehensive, sustainable district development
• sustainable and healthy mobility - the whole of Amsterdam as a walking and cycling city
• rigorous greening – ensuring a healthy, climate-resilient living environment for people and animals
• making the city together - making space for initiatives from the wider community
How to submit your input
Don’t miss your chance to get behind the vision for Amsterdam’s future. If you’d like to submit feedback, you can email your submission or arrange to speak with a representative by emailing email@example.com. Alternatively, you can post a letter to the following address:
Directeur Ruimte & Duurzaamheid
1000 CT Amsterdam
Your submission must include your name and address, the topics you would like to address (for example, public transport), and the changes you would suggest making. If you’d like to contribute but need more time, you can request an extension by emailing firstname.lastname@example.org before the 3 March 2021 deadline.