Housing allowances (huurtoeslag)

The housing allowance (huurtoeslag) is only intended for people below a government-determined income threshold. There is also a maximum rent eligible for subsidisation. The rents of social housing normally conform to these maximums, but private rental accommodation is often too high. To be considered for housing allowance, apply to the Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst). The form is in Dutch. Applicants are also welcome in person. Use the housing and care allowance application and adjustment program (aanvraag- en wijzigingsprogramma huur- en zorgtoeslag).

Detailed information is available on the website www.toeslagen.nl (in Dutch only).


A number of conditions apply to receiving housing allowance. Exact information on this - for example, the maximum level of assets and income allowed to be considered - is available on the website of the Tax and Customs Administration (Belastingdienst) www.toeslagen.nl. A help-line (belastingtelefoon) also provides information on 0800 0543.

Please note that recipients of housing allowance who turn out to be ineligible for this benefit - yet still receive it - are required to pay all assistance back.