Holiday lets in Amsterdam

Renting one’s home as a holiday let is only allowed if a set of guidelines applies. For example, only the principal occupier is permitted to rent out a property, and holiday rental must only happen occasionally – people can’t rent out their home on a permanent, commercial basis. The guidelines are in place to ensure that holiday lets are conducted safely, honestly and without causing problems for neighbours and other residents. People renting out their home but failing to adhere to the regulations risk being fined, having to pay back outstanding tourist tax or even having to vacate their home.

Registering your property for holiday rentals 

As of Sunday, 1 October 2017, all landlords must register their property with the City of Amsterdam if they want to let it for holiday rentals. It is thought that the registration process will help the City’s efforts to clamp down on illegal holiday rentals and make it easier to track violations. Landlords who want to let their property for holiday rentals can register on this page, by clicking on the 'Meld vakantiehuur' button. You must register by filling out the form every time that you want to let your property for a holiday rental. Make sure you have a valid DigID to complete the process. Failure to notify the City can incur a fine of €6,000, plus potential additional fines – up to a total of €20,500 – if other regulations, such as the 60-day-rule, have been violated.

Regulations for private holiday lets

Only the principal occupier is permitted to rent out the property
You are only permitted to rent out a property if you are the principal occupier and are registered as such in the municipal personal records database.

Only occasional rentals are permitted
Renting out your home a few times a year, for example while you’re on holiday yourself, is generally permitted, if all other guidelines are followed. The maximum of days for which a private holiday let is permitted is 60 per year. If you rent out your property for more than 60 days per year, you are regarded as engaging in commercial activity, and commercial rental of your home is not permitted.

Renting out part of your home for more than 60 days a year (thus letting it on a commercial basis) is only permitted if you are running a bed & breakfast. Click here for more information about the bed & breakfast industry (in Dutch).

Tourist tax
Like all accommodation providers in Amsterdam, you will be required to pay tourist tax on your income from holiday rental. The City of Amsterdam has more information (website in Dutch) and a registration form (in Dutch).

Permission from landlord or owner-occupiers’ association
Holiday rental is only permitted if you own your property or if you have obtained permission from the landlord. Homeowners who are part of an owner-occupiers’ association are advised to seek permission from the association in advance. It is worthwhile reaching agreements regarding the holiday rental in advance to avoid conflicts at a later stage.

No housing corporation rentals
Housing corporations do not allow the subletting of properties for any period of time and take a firm stand against people violating their rental agreements. The City of Amsterdam works closely with housing corporations to enforce the regulations. Failure to adhere to the regulations can result in having to vacate your home.

Compliance with fire safety regulations
To ensure the safety of your guests and neighbours, your property must comply with all applicable fire safety regulations. See here for more information by the fire brigade about taking fire safety precautions.

Four-guest maximum
You are not permitted to rent out your property to more than four guests at a time.

No nuisance caused by rentals
Guests staying in your property must not cause any form of nuisance to others living in the building or area. As principal occupier, to a certain extent you are responsible for the behaviour of your guests. It is important to be selective in choosing who you allow to stay in your home. Setting rules for your guests in advance is advisable. Also inform the neighbours, so that they are fully aware of the situation. Remember to leave a contact telephone number so that you (or someone acting on your behalf) can take action where necessary.

Reporting disturbances
Any disturbances caused by holiday rentals can be reported by calling 14 020, the city’s central information number. If you suspect that a property is being used illegally as a hotel or guesthouse, you can report this with this form (in Dutch).