Connecting Amsterdam with the world
Haarlemmermeer and the area surrounding Amsterdam Airport Schiphol offers a variety of housing options particularly suited to international residents. The area includes Hoofddorp, Schiphol, Aalsmeer, Uithoorn, Kudelstaart, Badhoevedorp and Nieuw-Vennep, and is home to small neighbourhood communities, modern housing options, lush green landscapes and convenient connections to Amsterdam city centre.
The region’s proximity to one of the best-connected airports in Europe is a clear advantage for international business trips and residents who frequently visit family overseas. Many international businesses are also headquartered on the airport’s doorstep (such as Asics and Lóreal). While a growing number of trend-setting companies are setting up shop at cutting-edge business parks around the region, resulting in a wealth of career opportunities.
Why live in Haarlemmermeer, Aalsmeer & Uithoorn?
- Have the Netherlands and the world at your fingertips Easily travel to Schiphol Airport – one of Europe’s best airports for international flight connections. The area also has convenient motorway access for travelling by car and many houses have off street parking. Hoofddorp is only 4 minutes away from Schiphol Airport by train, while the city centre of Amsterdam is only 15 minutes further. Major Dutch cities like The Hague, Utrecht and Rotterdam are also within easy reach.
- Spacious, modern and affordable housing The area offers an impressive selection of modern housing, ranging from single family homes to low-rise apartment blocks. Space is available for building new homes and the area is ahead of circular and sustainable construction initiatives. New residential developments including Hyde Park in Hoofddorp will provide even more housing in coming years. In 2018, Haarlemmermeer was voted the most sustainable municipality in the Netherlands. The average price per square metre is significantly less expensive than Amsterdam.
- Close to nature Expansive parks, farmland and gardens contribute to the area’s relaxed lifestyle. The area borders the flower growing region of the Netherlands, which bursts to life in vivid colours every spring and summer, while the world’s largest flower auction is based in neighbouring city Aalsmeer. Even in a bigger city like Hoofddorp, you’re never far from open green spaces, such as Park 21 and the Toolenburgplas lake.
- The Optimist International School (ages 4 to 12) offers the IP curriculum and uses the British national curriculum to teach literacy and numeracy.
- The Gifted Minds International School (ages 3 to 12) offers the IB Primary curriculum with American Common Core State standards.
Feel at home more easily with community groups such as expatsHaarlemmermeer – an English-speaking social and business network that provides support services for international newcomers and hosts frequent community events. New international schools and expansions have attracted many international families to the area, while innovative school concepts such as bilingual and vocational schools that cover all education levels are part of the public school system.
IN Amsterdam’s one-stop-shop registration is available for international newcomers in the municipality of Haarlemmermeer.
You can reach the municipality of Haarlemmermeer by calling 0900 1852 from within the Netherlands, or 00 31 23 56 76 543 if you are calling from abroad.
More information can be found on Haarlemmermeer's website.