Introduction to New York’s startup scene for Amsterdam startups
Amsterdam-based startups in the cultural sector looking to expand to the United States are invited to apply for the Amsterdam2NYC Cultural Startup Bootcamp 2016, a four-day intensive programme aiming to introduce Amsterdam startups to the startup scene and cultural sector in New York and the US. The bootcamp is organised by StartupAmsterdam in collaboration with the Consulate General of the Netherlands in NYC and The New York City Economic Development Corporation (NYCEDC). The Amsterdam2NYC Cultural Startup bootcamp is part of a cultural mission taking place from 7 to 10 September 2016, organised by the City of Amsterdam and led by Amsterdam alderwoman Kajsa Ollongren.
Meet experts and important players from the cultural sector
The bootcamp is the perfect opportunity for Amsterdam startups to explore the US market and meet industry experts and companies in the cultural sector. All participating startups will have the opportunity to pitch to an exclusive selection of cultural organisations and institutions from the Netherlands and the US that are participating in the cultural mission. They include FOAM, Paradiso, the EYE Filmmuseum and the Stedelijk Museum Amsterdam.
The City of Amsterdam will host its first ever international trade mission on arts and culture to New York from 7 to 11 September 2016. Over 40 cultural organisations from Amsterdam will join Ollongren in New York for an extensive programme focused on promoting and celebrating the cultural relationship between the two cities and exchange in cultural networks and expertise fact-finding and positioning Amsterdam as a cultural capital on a global scale.
The programme in NYC
At the Amsterdam2NYC bootcamp, participating startups will gain valuable information from US industry experts, lead users and peers about a soft landing in NYC and learn how to expand and scale their companies in the US market. StartupAmsterdam provides an introductory programme into New York’s startup ecosystem and cultural sector, including:
- Soft landing in the US business world – advice on legal, recruitment and financial practices
- Networking opportunities and one-on-one meetings with US launching customers and organisations in the cultural sector
- Business development session
- Pitch training and an investor pitch session
6-9 September 2016, New York City, USA
StartupAmsterdam will cover the bootcamp programme. All other costs, such as flights, overnight stay, transportation and meals outside of the programme are covered by the participants.
- Kick-off session and pitch training in Amsterdam, taking place in August prior to the trip
- A four-day intensive programme to introduce Amsterdam startups to the startup scene and cultural sector in New York and the US
- Participation in selected cultural mission activities, such as a creative industries investment seminar and networking receptions
Who can apply?
- Innovative startups in the cultural sector that are actively looking into US expansion
- Amsterdam-based startups have preference
- Minimal criteria of a product/market fit and positive metrics in growth and conversion are applied
To apply, please fill in the Application Form. The application deadline is 15 July 2016.
For more information about the Cultural Amsterdam2NYC Startup Bootcamp, please contact Bas Beekman, Director StartupAmsterdam, or Yeni Joseph, International Relations StartupAmsterdam. For more information regarding the cultural mission, please contact Araf Ahmadali, Policy advisor for Arts and Culture, City of Amsterdam and project leader of the cultural mission to New York.
Click here for the NYC bootcamp September 2016 PDF.