Architect: Dienst der Publieke Werken (Office of Public Works)
Commissioned by: Amsterdam City Council
Years of construction: 1897-1899.
The pump house was put into operation from 1900. In the engine room there were four steam-powered pumps that drove the water into the city from the four underground reservoirs. In order to maintain a constant pressure in Amsterdams water pipe network, a steel water tower was built in 1966 on the Watertorenplein (Water Tower Square).
The former pumping station, 2007
Adjacent to the water tower is a small octagonal tower: the Windketelgebouw (Air Chamber Building). It was here that any excess pressure from the pipes used to be regulated by means of a steel tank. It contained water and air. If a pump suddenly stopped working, then a pocket of air would cushion the wave of pressure.What is unusual is that this little building from 1897 now serves as a one-room hotel, with three floors and a fully fitted interior. It is the smallest hotel in the Netherlands.
The water tower, warehouses and workshops of the pumping station, 1994
Ecowijk (Ecological District)
Nowadays the industrial buildings form part of an ecological residential area. Architect Kees Christiaanse put together the urban planning design, with focus on the environment. Thus the houses are naturally insulated by succulent plants on the roof and the toilets are flushed using collected rainwater. The first houses were completed in 1997.
Interior of the former pumping station, now Café Restaurant Amsterdam
The former pumping station forms the heart of the district; nowadays it contains a café/restaurant. The interior is still home to an old pump and some of the control equipment.