Architect: Adolf Leonard van Gendt (1835-1901)
Commissioned by: Vereeniging Het Burgerziekenhuis (The Citizens’ Hospital Association)
Years of construction: 1889-1891.
The Burgerziekenhuis (citizens’ hospital) was built with private funds. The doctor and later director of the hospital, A.W.C. Berns and the Jewish banker, A.C. Wertheim, were the initiators. They set up the Vereeniging Het Burgerziekenhuis (The Citizens’ Hospital Association) in order to collect money. The Association bought a plot of land and the field behind it on the Linnaeusstraat (street) in 1884 as space, light and fresh air were considered important for good recovery.
Front façade, ca. 1900
A hospital for the citizenry
The Burgerziekenhuis was intended to serve the ‘small citizens’ who thus finally had ‘their’ own hospital. The well-to-do always went to the Prinsengrachtziekenhuis (hospital), while the poor could go to one of the two city hospitals. With the arrival of the Academisch Medisch Centrum (medical centre) in Bijlmermeer (area) in 1991, the hospital on the Linnaeusstraat became redundant. It moved to the town of Almere and became the Flevoziekenhuis.
Main hall and reception area, ca. 1988
The Burgerziekenhuis offered shelter to three special guests in 1937. Queen Wilhelmina dealt with her official business for a while from the hospital and signed her royal decrees there. The reason for this was that her son-in-law Prince Bernhard was admitted to the hospital after a car accident. In order to stay with him, Princess Juliana and Queen Wilhelmina made it their temporary home.
Rear view of the former surgery building