The houses on the corners of Gerard Doustraat (formerly Zaagmolenpad) with Tweede Jacob van Campenstraat, Quellijnstraat and Daniel Stalpertstraat taper to a sharp point and for that reason are also called ‘taartpunten’ (cake wedges) by the locals.
Gerard Doustraat 137, viewed in the direction of the Ferdinand Bolstraat.
Streets follow canals
The original plan of municipal engineer J.G. van Niftrik entailed a luxurious neighbourhood with large residential blocks and wide streets. The council rejected the plan, however, because the intended street plan required extensive and expensive re-allotment of the polder area, the Binnendijkse Buitenveldertse polder. A new plan was prepared by J. Kalff, Director of Public Works, in 1876. He maintained the existing allotment of the polder area, such that the new streets followed the old pattern of canals.
The "cake wedge" between the Gerard Doustr. (l) andQuellijnstr. (r), 1978. Photo: Roeland Koning.
Old and new Pijp
In those days, all of Amsterdam’s districts were referred to using letters and this section of De Pijp was designated as district YY. This area belongs to the Oude (Old) or Noord-Pijp (North). The Nieuwe (New) or Zuid-Pijp (South) was developed following the annexation in 1896 of a section of the former district of Nieuwer-Amstel (present-day Amstelveen), as part of the Plan Zuid (Plan South) of architect Hendrik Pieter Berlage. He developed this plan in the years 1917-1918. Implementation of the plan followed between 1923 and 1925.