Construction of park
The site of the Sarphatipark was originally planned to be the site of the Central Station, but the station was ultimately moved to the River IJ. The park was designed in the English landscape style, which is a reference to the excitement and unpredictability of wild nature. Thanks to their elegant façades, the buildings around the park are also called the ‘velvet edge’ – very different to the inexpensive houses elsewhere in De Pijp.
Monument of Dr. Samuel Sarphati.
Along with the opening of the park in 1886, the memorial to Samuel Sarphati was unveiled as well. It was designed by Amsterdam architect J.R. de Kruiff. Due to his achievements for Amsterdam in the spheres of education, public health, urban development and industry, Sarphati earned himself the title ‘founder of the New Amsterdam’ above the bust. Among other things, Sarphati initiated the collection of waste and set up the Amstel Hotel.
Pumping station Sarphatipark, 1891.
The park was designed as scenic landscape with a stream in a valley. The pumping station and the bushes provide a surprise on a walk through the park. The park was reconstructed in 1993 because a few things had changed in the previous period. At the request of residents, the liefdesbruggetjes (‘love bridges’) on the east side were restored.
Park warden's house Sarphatipark, 1982.